A look at horror movies by someone who has too much time on his hands...

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Planet of the Vampires


You ever see a movie and think "Wow, I've got to see every movie this director has ever made?" and when you do, you eventually find the one that disappoints you?
I saw Mario Bava's Blood and Black Lace and that was when I got hooked. Killer at a fashion house killing models.
Then his Bay of Blood- a grisly tribute to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None that inspired the original Friday the Thirteenth.

I finally got around to seeing Planet of the Vampires for this project.

Two space ships receive a distress signal from an unexplored planet.
The crew of the first ship go insane and there are casualties. The crew of the second ship must discover the why they went insane and the source of the signal... oh, yeah, the dead from the first ship are buried, and climb from their graves to menace the second ship.

Badness ensues.

Up til they came back, I kept thinking that the guys from Alien must have taken notes because if I didn't know better I'd call Alien a homage to Planet of the Vampires.

That said...

It's got a great color palate. Very colorful. And their snug black leather space suits wouldn't look out of place at a fetish party.


I mean, can't you see that woman with a riding crop in her hand? Better yet, you didn't before, but you do now, don't you?

It really wasn't very good. But it was fun. It's not something for the Bava novice.
Start with Blood and Black Lace. Check out the trailer here:


No comments:

Post a Comment