A look at horror movies by someone who has too much time on his hands...

Thursday, January 6, 2011

House of Dark Shadows


I was annoyed to find that netflix didn't have this, but I got lucky and picked it up on VHS right before New Year's at a thrift shop. I saw that as a good augry about this project.

So. Barnabas Collins. From the early seventies, House of Dark Shadows takes the cast of the gothic soap opera places I really couldn't go on television, with a budget for sets and costumes that must have been a novelty for the them.

That and the violence and gore. The staking are crimsonly vivid, almost Hammer style- something that most certainly couldn't get by standards and practices back then.

There's also a shift in tone for Barnabas- he's less sympathetic, more monster here, in keeping with the original plan for him on television before he became so popular.

And the sets! Oh, being filmed on location gives the story so much more depth, making Collinwood almost another character, rather than the studio sets fans were used to.

Yes, I'm a fan of the old show as well- I watched it in syndication then on Sci-Fi back in the day, and thank heaven for vhs for the longest time. Now, many of the episodes are available on netflix, where I've been watching them with Perry- who used to run home from school to catch the show in first run.

No comments:

Post a Comment