A look at horror movies by someone who has too much time on his hands...

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dracula: Dead and Loving It

Maybe I've seen the Tod Browning Dracula too many times, but I just couldn't get into Mel Brooks' Dracula: Dead and Loving It.

I've seen Blazing Saddles dozens of times. Gut bustingly funny.
And I loved his Young Frankenstein, which shows he understood the conventions of the classic horror genre.

But... that was the seventies.

Dracula: Dead and Loving It was dull, the worst thing a comedy could be.

It's a hodgepodge of cliches taken from most of the classic Dracula films, but the humor falls flat.

Not even Peter MacNicol's performance as Renfield was funny. Well, it was funny the first time he did it in Ghostbusters 2, but here it was just annoying.

I was, however, impressed and amused by Anne Bancroft's cameo as Madame Ouspenskaya, inspired by the Gypsy woman from the original Wolfman.

(I was tempted to examine what was wrong with this movie, point by point, and it occurred to me that I'd wasted an hour and a half on this movie. I'm not giving it any more of my life than I already have.)


No comments:

Post a Comment