A look at horror movies by someone who has too much time on his hands...

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Midnight Mass

When I heard that F. Paul Wilson's novel Midnight Mass was a movie, I put it on my short list of must-sees, since I'm a big fan of his novels; heck, I even enjoyed the movie version of his novel The Keep (World War II Romania with Tangering Dream soundtrack!).

Well.

The first few minutes are pretty good, newsclips giving the background for the story- an epidemic has crossed the globe, an outbreak that turns it's victims into vampires. Interviews with doctors and film footage of attacks, they're not too bad- and unless I miss my guess, one of the doctors being interviewed was Wilson himself.

The rest of the movie.... not as impressive. It's like a film school project- it's well done, but not very polished. The acting is passable, but only just.

I know Wilson's not a fan of The Keep, but if you've got to choose between the two, you're better served watching The Keep, even with Michael Man's "It's the 80's" style of direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment