A look at horror movies by someone who has too much time on his hands...

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans

One thing I need to grasp about many of these movies I'm watching:

they're not all horror.

Which is a pretty counter-intuitive comment until you notice how many comedies I've see, how many action/adventure movies I've sat through over the past six or so months.

Fantasy is a genre that vampires world well in also, like tonight's prequeal to Underworld, Underworld Rise of the Lycans.


Set in a swords and armor medieval once-upon-a-time, we get to see how the Lycans- Werewolves- were bred as a slave race for the Vampires.


And of course, "slave race" is always a bad idea, in fantasy as history, and the Werewolves revolt.


Since this is an Underworld movie, the leader of the revolution loves the daughter of leader of the Vampires.


No, it doesn't end well. It can't otherwise we'd not have gotten the conflict that lead to the other Underworld movies.


It's an oddly beautiful movie, filmed with a heavy blue, cold palatte, the warmer colors for the most part appearing as fire.


I didn't mean to watch this until I'd seen Underworld2, but it's well enough constructed that I wasn't lost- heck, I could have never even seen Underworld and it would have still worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment