A look at horror movies by someone who has too much time on his hands...

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Perfect Creature

Movies like Perfect Creature are why I do this.
I had no idea what it was about, all I knew, thanks to netflix's tags, was that it was a vampire movie.
In fact, I wasn't sure about it, so I'd put off watching it a couple of days after receiving the dvd.

I wish I'd watched it sooner.

It's set in an alternate world where vampires are the Brotherhood, a religious/scientific order, living integrated into human society. It's a dieselpunk world where cars share the streets with horse drawn carriages, with zeppelins in the sky.

Silas is a Brother tasked to track down his biological brother, Edgar, also a Brother, who has gone on a killing spree endangering the relationship between the Brothers and humans. Lily is a police officer investigating thee killings as well.

Like Underworld: Rise of the Lycans was an excellent use of vampires in the Fantasy genre, Perfect Creature crosses the lines between sci-fi and serial killer thriller. Visually, it's like some sort of film noir, set in a neverwhen reminiscent of the rock and roll fable Streets of Fire.

Perfect Creature is an unexpected genre bending treat, a nice diversion from the cliches of the tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment