A look at horror movies by someone who has too much time on his hands...

Friday, July 15, 2011

30 Days of Night: Dark Days

Well, amazingly, I haven't burnt out on direct to dvd movies yet, though I think tonight's movie, 30 Days of Night: Dark Days, might be the last for a while.

Having really enjoyed the the first 30 Days of Night (and it seems, I'm going to re-watch since I can't find the blogpost for it), and having read the graphic novels, I was enthusiastic about 3DoN:DD more than I usually am about a direct to dvd sequel, and surprisingly, I wasn't too disappointed.

Stella Olsen, one of the survivors from 30DoN, has taken her story public as a book in memory of her husband, Eben, the sheriff of Barrow who gave his life to stop the vampires. She meets up with some vampires hunters, carnage ensues.

It's a little annoying in the direct to dvd things when the cast changes, as Stella was played by Kiele Sanchez here and Melissa George in the first installment, as does Eben, played by Josh Hartnett in the original and Stephen Huszar here.

There are a lot of liberties taken in the transition from graphic novel to film, especially then ending, but there's a scene where Stella rents a hall to promote her book and proceeds to out the vampires to the general public with UV lights that comes across excellently.

All in all, 30 Days of Night: Dark Days was better than the From Dusk to Dawn movies- as there are several graphic novels in the 30DoN series, I'd love to see them give another on an adaptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment