A look at horror movies by someone who has too much time on his hands...

Friday, February 18, 2011

My Son The Vampire

I understand that Great Britain took longer to recover from World War II than the United States- rationing lasted til '54.
Watching My Son The Vampire I can understand how bad things must have been.
Bela Lugosi plays Van Housen, an evil genius known as The Vampire, who may very well be a real vampire.
He's created a super robot that is accidently delivered to Mother Reilly, an Irish shopkeeper, played by Arthur Lucan. Yes, Arthur. Mother Reilly is played by a man, in the Music Hall style of humor.
One of those styles of humor that never seemed to really cross the Atlantic too well.
And crossing the Atlantic was what this movie was all about apparently- Lugosi had gone to England to perform in a production of Dracula that flopped; he took the role in My Son The Vampire to pay for his ticket back to the States.

It's not quite Dracula in terms of production, but as goofy as it is, it's still considerably superior to some of the things I've seen so far- like Blood Dancers or Def By Temptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment