A look at horror movies by someone who has too much time on his hands...

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Razor Blade Smile

Wayback last century, I took a course on Structuralism in literature. It didn't work for me, my youthful mental gears just didn't get "from a structuralist standpoint, The Color Purple is a comedy." I heard The Color Purple=comedy and I couldn't make the mental click.
I'm saying this because I saw the craziest James Bond movie tonight- Razor Blade Smile.
It's a low budget, b-grade vampire movie that's a James Bond film with a female protagonist and an absence of the glorious Bond gadgets.
But from a structuralist viewpoint, it's a Bond movie- pre-credit teaser sequence, a sexy siloutte credit sequence, and hit the ground running action.
Lilith Silver is a vampire assassin, wearing a latex catsuit five years before Kate Beckinsdale did in Underworld. For fun she hangs out at a goth club (playing Bela Lugosi's Dead in the background, naturally)

A treat for horror fans is a cameo by David Warbeck, from Lucio Fulci's The Beyond



No comments:

Post a Comment