A look at horror movies by someone who has too much time on his hands...

Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Case of the Whitechapel Vampire

I asked some friends for their reccomendations and someone siad The Case of the Whitechapel Vampire- a Sherlock Holmes movie with a vampire twist; it even has Matt (Max Headroom) Frewer as Holmes.

Holmes is summoned to investigate the murder of monks in a Whitechapel monestary, deaths one of the brothers attributes to vampires.

I was at a disadvantage to this movie- I expected too much. First, I'm a BIG Sherlock Holmes fan. Secondly, Max Headroom is one of my favorite television show- I watch the entire (too, too short run) probably once a year.

Well. I expected a little too much. With the memory of Granada TV's Jeremy Brett in mind (THE classic Sherlock Holmes, in my opinion), Matt Frewer... pales in comparison. His "British accent" is unconvincing, but he does bring a good manic twitch to the part.

It's entertaining enough- a television movie from Hallmark Entertainment, so I knew I wasn't getting something by David Fincher, but rather the "literary adaptation" equivalent of a SyFy original film.

Now, I think in the wake of the recent Sherlock Holmes film, now would be a good time for someone in Hollywood to pay attention to Loren Estleman's novel The Case of the Sanguinary Count or the graphic novel Scarlet in Gaslight, both pitting the Detective against Dracula.

Now I need to find the Brett adaptation of the short story The Case of the Sussex Vampire, The Last Vampyre, featuring one of my favourite lines from the Sherlockian Canon- when questioned about his faith in the supernatural, Holmes tells Watson: "The world is big enough for us. No ghosts need apply."

No comments:

Post a Comment